Wanted: Interns for 6-week placements from September 1st to December 31st 2012
- Posted: 07 July 2012
- Deadline: applications accepted for placements from now until 1st September 2012.
- Current status: open
Southern Records and Rarely Unable PR are looking for interns. Bright, passionate, committed, computer literate individuals with a good appreciation of Southern Records output are encouraged to apply. This is an excellent position for a recent graduate or someone currently studying who has some free time. It is suited to individuals who have had some work experience in an office environment and are seeking music business experience.
Southern Records is a fiercely independent record label, artist management and recording studio established in the late 1970′s punk heyday. Rarely Unable is a new independent PR company whose founder has been a key player in Southern’s most recent history. Now the two companies are sharing offices and we’re looking to recruit some interns who can assist us while gaining some excellent hands-on experience. We are currently considering applications for placements up to June 2012. All placements are based at our north London offices.
Our placements are generally a minimum of six weeks, as it is our experience that this provides the greatest opportunity to gain genuine practical experience. Broadly speaking, our requirements are (although we maintain flexibility depending on the candidate’s availability and requirements):
Candidates should ideally be available at least 20 hours per week, up to a maximum of 40 hours.
Placements should ideally last a minimum of six weeks.
The objective of our internships are twofold: the intern gets some valuable experience working at a independent label office (perhaps contributing to their CV or assisting them in determining what sort of career they would like to pursue) and we get some valuable help in our super-busy office.
The type of tasks an intern can potentially expect to do:
- Assisting with mail-outs and follow-ups.
- Customer service for our busy mail order department.
- Collating, scanning and filing and archiving.
- Attending gigs and liaising with bands, helping run merch stalls, distribution flyers at venues and stores.
- Internet research.
- Writing copy for our web site and social network sites, newsletters, sales and PR literature.
- Assisting with hand-assembling some of our limited edition releases.
- Making tea and coffee, emptying the bins – everything we do ourselves on a day to day basis.
The above list is a guideline only. Responsibilities will be discussed in greater detail prior to a placement being offered.
The qualities we are looking for in our interns:
- Enthusiasm for working specifically within the independent music community.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for Southern’s labels/bands, and those represented by Rarely Unable PR.
- Desire to learn and commitment to working hard and making a genuine contribution during your time with us.
- Willingness to undertake all kinds of work – from the menial to the creative.
- Computer literacy: Mac OS X preferred and experience with Open/Libre Office, Excel, Word, and good internet skills.
- Good spelling and grammar (without a spell checker!)
- Punctuality and a great sense of humour.
By the end of the placement, our interns should have a good grasp of the inner workings of an independent record label and an independent PR company.
These placements are voluntary and unpaid although we do offer a contribution towards travel costs.
If you are interested in applying please contact us using the form below and we will send you details of how to apply.