These days, punk is like classic rock. It’s “oldies”. People who liked punk when it was actually happening are in old age homes now. They have great-grandchildren. They remember the time before there was electricity.
Nomeansno are like that. They started their band in 1979, which apart from being 33 1/3 years ago (which is coincidentally the number of rounds per minute on a long-playing vinyl record), is also before the invention of the motor car. Go on, look it up.
Nomeansno put out a record called Old, because that’s what they are. It’s been out of print for a while so we just pressed some more up in black & white splatter vinyl. Check this out.
Nomeansno are also touring. They do that a lot. Old people get stuck in their habits and they don’t like change. They’re coming to the UK for the first time in about five years, and to be honest, in the live environment, they kick the shit out of any band formed since about 1999. Which is pretty impressive for old people.
- Tuesday 21st Nottingham – The Doghouse
- Wedensday 22nd Manchester – Sound Control
- Sunday 26th Glasgow – Stereo
- Tuesday 28th Edinburgh – Electric Circus
- Wedensday 29th Newcastle – The Cluny
- Thursday 30th Exeter – The cavern
- Friday 31st London, Islington – The Lexington
- Saturday 1st Bristol – Exchange
- Sunday 2nd Brighton – The Hydrant
You can buy Old and a bunch of other Nomeansno stuff in our shop.
We are (finally!) be able to announce the first of our Rudimentary Peni reissues. We’re starting with Pope Adrian the 37th Psychristiatric. Yes, we know it’s taken forever. We have worked really hard on these – remastering the audio from the original analogue tapes, presenting the original artwork in a spectacular new fashion. In fact, we think these new versions look and sound better than the original releases. Pope Adrian, original released in 1995, was never issued on vinyl. Now you can own it on 180gm black vinyl, in a gatefold sleeve, with a full-size 16 page book of Nick Blinko artwork, plus a bonus poster. The CD is almost as good, except it’s CD-sized, and it doesn’t have the poster, and it’s not vinyl. Shipping on 6th May, you can pre-order from the shop now.
Bletchley’s infamous sons Action Beat are packing up all their musical mayhem and putting it in the back of a van. Next week they start a tour of Europe, their first tour since May 2012 (for most bands that wouldn’t be saying much, but Action Beat once lived on the road).
Seeing Action Beat live is truly an exceptional experience, and we are more than a little miffed that there are no UK dates on this tour. Europe is clearly a better place to be!
Action Beat are touring with four other bands (not all shows, check locally for details) and they will have copies of their latest Truth Cult opus The Condition available for sale.
Action Beat – www.soundcloud.com/actionbeat
Bad Body – www.soundcloud.com/badbody
Mons Meg – www.soundcloud.com/monsmeg
Sense of Adventure – http://vimeo.com/14972257
The Crease – http://www.reverbnation.com/thecrease/
- Thursday 28th – Poortgebouw, NL
- Friday 29th – Caen, FR
- Saturday 30th – Karlsruhe – DE
- Sunday 31st – Prague, CZ
- Monday 1st – KAW, Leverkusen, DE
- Tuesday 2nd – Leige, BE
- Wednesday 3rd – 301, Amsterdam, NL
- Thursday 4th – Nancy, FR
- Friday 5th – Marseille – FR
- Saturday 6th – HUMAN FEATHER ALLDAYER 2013, UPLOAD
- address: Plaça Major, 9 Poble Espanyol, 08038 Barcellona
- Sunday 7th – LYON, Grrrrnd Zero
- Monday 8th – OFF
- Tuesday 9th – Basel, CH TBC
- Wednesday 10th – l’Usine (Kalvingrad), Geneva, CH
- Thursday 11th – Colmar, FR
- Friday 12th – Festival near Rennes (details soon), FR
- Saturday 13th – Frankfurt – IVI – DE
- Sunday 14th – Bateau Ivre – Mons, BE